Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Organic Chemstry.

I am not a morning person.

However, it's not as bad as I thought. But I would NEVER do it willingly. My only coherent thoughts at 7am are, "one second, I just need to finish this dream," and "I need to get a bigger coffee cup."

With my troubles of the morning aside, taking summer classes is... depressing. What possessed myself to say, "Of course I'd like to sacrifice two of my precious summer months to devote myself to organic chemistry!" Yeah...that was not me speaking.

It's really easy toss the quiet times and move your sleeping bag into the library. Which is one of my biggest struggles. It is so easy for me to look to my grades, the books, my time spent studying as my identity and my worth as a person. But what we do doesn't define us, does it? Is it our attitudes about life that define us? I would argue that our relationship with our savior defines us. He is, after all, the creator. He's the one that gave us purpose, life, breathe.

So in turn, I should be excited and bursting at the seams, ready to devour all the vast knowledge of organic chemistry. I should see it as Christ's mission for me this summer. To apply his gospel to my schoolwork. What does that even mean?

I'm thinking that it means this. When Christ created the world it was perfect, beautiful, and full of peace. He created knowledge to be understood and to be applied. But the fall came, and now things are confusing, misinterpreted. Teachers aren't teachers because they want to impart this knowledge, but instead they teach for pride, self-exhalation, and maybe money. (maybe not? but generally speaking they make SOMETHING) Instead of eager students, we are lazy. We cheat, and we definitely do the bare minimum. Who wants to actually pull those weeds that were cursed upon the earth? But when Christ came to redeem us and our hopelessly ignorant society, he gave us a way to overcome the weeds and study, learn, and find truth! So, that means I'm going to have to do some tilling. I'm going to have to find out what Christ wants from a student. Someone willing, eager, and ready to devour truth.

Bring it on OCHEM! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment